Children and Youth Catechesis
In Singapore, the catechesis of children and youth takes place in 29 parishes where they are prepared by volunteer catechists to receive the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist (usually when they are in Primary 3) and Confirmation (usually when they are in Secondary 3 or 4). Click here to view a map of parishes in Singaore.
If you would like to find out more about the catechetical sessions in your parish, please contact
Catholic schools in Singapore also run catechetical sessions and these are considered additional enrichment sessions.
- To find out more about catechesis in schools, please visit the Archdiocesan Commission for Catholic Schools website.
- Please note that attending catechesis in a Catholic school does not replace the need for children and youth to attend parish catechetical sessions as they are to receive their first Sacraments in the parish.
Managed by the Office for Catechesis, the Bridging Programme is a programme for children/youth.
The aim of the programme is to help children/youth build up a relationship with God and to initiate them into the liturgical life of the Church.
It uses the baptismal catechumenate as the inspiration for catechesis (as directed by the General Directory for Catechesis #90-91) which allows for ongoing discernment and will include sacramental preparation, namely Baptism, First Reconciliation, and First Eucharist.
The programme is modular and runs for 4 terms - corresponding to the same schedule of local school terms.
Children enrolled in this programme are expected to complete 4 terms before they can return to their own parishes to join the relevant level in the following year.
Upon completion of the Bridging Programme, OFC will liaise with respective parish coordinators to ensure a smooth transition of the child/youth back into the existing parish catechesis for ongoing formation.
The Bridging Programme is for children (9-13 years old) in any of the following situations:
- are baptised but never had formal catechesis and wish to start
- have ‘dropped out’ of catechesis and wish to rejoin
- have come from overseas with no formal catechesis
- are unbaptised and wish to be baptised and will join catechesis thereafter
1259 Upper Serangoon Road, Singapore 534795
Thursdays: 7.00 pm – 8.30 pm
1 Commonwealth Drive, Singapore 149603
Fridays: 7.30 pm – 9.00 pm
91 Toa Payoh Central, Singapore 319193
Saturdays: 10.00 am -11.30am
31 Siglap Hill, Singapore 456085
Saturdays: 10.00 am – 11.30 am
Parents are expected to meet with their children’s catechists at least twice a year to review their child’s faith journey.
In addition, a parent formation session will be conducted for parents every term, to allow parents to come together as a community to pray for their children, as well as to experience for themselves, some aspects of the programme that the children would experience.
This would enable parents to further dialogue with their child about their own faith experience.
Registration for 2020 is still open
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, Bridging Programme for 2020 is deferred to start on 25 – 27 June 2020.
If you think your child is eligible for this programme,
- Please contact your Parish Catechetical Coordinator/Bridging Liason to inform them of your interest.
- Afterwhich, a follow-up interview will be arranged with you and your child.
You may also contact us for more information.